ILC’s Counselor-In-Training (CIT) Program is an exciting opportunity for our older campers to return to Independent Lake Camp in a different role. ILC Community members meeting certain requirements have the chance to attend ILC as a CIT. This is a program that blends being a camper with some added counselor training responsibilities. At the end of the 4 or 5 weeks, CITs are formally evaluated to be considered as a potential staff member the following year. This program does have a few requirements and is offered at a discounted price in comparison to our regular sessions.
Working one period a day at an area of their choice with a counselor or head of department to assist on running the activity. For all other periods, CITs continue to follow our non-traditional programming and atmosphere at camp by signing up for their own primes and dailies and participating in camp and evening activities.
- Living in a bunk with other CITs – All CIT’s will have an 11:30 PM curfew
- Serve food during meals and help to clean up the dining hall after meals
- Participate in and help with evening activities and/or curfew time on Elkview with the younger campers (having at least two OD’s on Elkview)
- Support a younger camper in navigating ILC.
- Opportunity to create their own CIT trip rather than attend the regular camp trips.
CIT’s will be formally evaluated by the kitchen manager, directors, head counselors and heads of departments – These evaluations are reviewed during the Fall after camp to assist the directors in choosing which CIT’s should join our ILC Staff.
To be a CIT for this summer (and be considered for an employment position as a CA next summer), ILC community members must:
- Attend ILC for a MINIMUM of 5 Weeks if coming for Session 2
- Attend ILC for a MINIMUM of 4 weeks if coming Session 3 and 4 ONLY
- Be 16 years old or going into US grade 11